Cheap GPS Fleet Tracking Software – How Affordable is Fleet Management Software in 2020?
The ongoing fees for GPS fleet tracking software are on a per-vehicle basis, and can be as low as $19 for a budget service, or $50 or more for a less economical version.
Fleet managers will also have to invest in some equipment for each vehicle, usually costing around $100-$200, although you can sometimes find low-priced options with a bulk discount if you are outfitting a large fleet all at once.
When you add GPS fleet tracking to your shipping or trucking company, you should expect to have some initial start-up fees as well as ongoing service fees.
- # of Licenses: The first factor that affects how much your GPS fleet tracking software costs is how many licenses you need to outfit your fleet. If you have more vehicles, you may be able to negotiate bulk rates or take advantage of pre-existing volume discounts.
- Software Requirements: Next are the accessibility options that come with your software. Very basic software that can only be accessed through a single portal is likely going to be cheap compared to one with more access points, such as a mobile app. However, the flexibility that mobile technology allows often makes this worth the additional cost you may face.
- GPS Fleet Tracker Capabilities: Software sophistication is ultimately the largest determining factor in how much your fleet tracking software costs. If you’re looking for a bargain, opt for a stripped-down version with a more reduced feature set. Most providers will have different tiers of service that include different feature sets in the software, with more advanced options including customizable reporting software and integration with dispatch or other types of software.
What is Fleet Tracking GPS Software?
GPS fleet tracking software allows you to completely manage and monitor the movements of an entire fleet of vehicles through a single software portal. Every vehicle in your system will have a hardware device installed in it which can transmit its GPS calculated location back to your system. Then, when you log in, you can view exactly where your vehicles are, as well as a wealth of other data.
So what type of information beyond pinpointing a real-time location can you obtain or manage using GPS fleet tracking software?
- Engage in route planning analysis to maximize travel time efficiency
- Manage and monitor vehicle status and maintenance
- Monitor and track driver speed, fuel usage and driving habits
- Track shipments for clients
This information can all be applied in the right way to help improve the overall profitability of your company. For instance, more efficient route planning allows you to maximize your efficiency on the road, reduce fuel consumption, and keep vehicle wear to a minimum. Monitoring your employee’s driving habits can also be incredibly effective in this regard. For instance, something like inefficient breaking (which is measured by some software packages) could be causing:
- Increased fuel consumption
- Increased risk of collision
- Shortened lifespan on brake-system components
All things which can cost your company money. By getting regular reports on driver behaviors, you can provide coaching and training to help keep your fleet as profitable as possible. There are also possible insurance implications and savings to be had by implementing these types of monitoring measures on your fleet.
What to Look for in Low-Cost GPS Fleet Tracking Management Software?
The more information you can gain from your tracking software, the more you will be able to utilize it to maximize the efficiency of your fleet. Cost is a consideration here, however, as more complex and fully-featured software will often come at a higher price.
Here are some important pricing items to review before you buy your GPS fleet tracker software:
Startup Fees: Ranging from $0.00 to $99/unit
Price Per Vehicle Per Month: Ranges from $20 – $35 per month
Hardware Costs Per Vehicle: Cost between$75 – $200 per vehicle
Cost to Install: National average is from $0 -$50
At a minimum, you should look for GPS tracking suites which include the ability to schedule your routes and dispatch your team to their destinations. Without these kinds of tools, the software is likely too stripped down to be of any notable practical value.
You should also look for what options you have for accessing your tracking suite. Many companies now offer a mobile app, which is very useful if you’re also on the road a great deal but still need to monitor your fleet and view your reports. Ideally, you should look for a suite that is cloud-hosted (most are these days) so you can easily access your data from any device.
If you’re new to the world of GPS fleet tracking, then you should also look for software that is easy to use. Learning one of these programs from scratch, especially if you’re not already familiar with how they work, can be time-consuming, but the learning curve is definitely less steep on some programs compared to others. Some companies also offer training along with their software packages. This is an excellent option for someone new to using this type of tool.
Bargain GPS Fleet Tracking Software with Discounted Prices
Rhino Fleet Tracking: It is hard to beat Rhino’s rock bottom prices in this industry. The flat fee currently charged is $16.95 per month, without any requirement in regards to a long-term contract. For that price, you get access to your fleet tracking software through either a web browser or a mobile device, a leading support reputation, and full-featured dispatching and tracking software suite.
CalAmp: CalAmp has several different pricing options, but they do have packages starting as low as $19.99 per vehicle monthly. The company also has a number of different tiers of service, so you only have to sign up for the services that you’re actually going to use. Their software is among the best in the business, with a vast range of reporting and analytical features that allow you to drill deep into your data to maximize your fleet efficiency.
Save Money with Statistics
The statistics you can gather on your fleet performance with these types of programs makes them all inexpensive compared to what you’re spending on keeping your fleet operational now. This is especially true in larger companies. Small savings on a single vehicle add up to significantly increased profits when applied fleet-wide. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t start investigating how fleet tracking software could benefit your company.